Same-Sex Marriage in Minnesota
Without action same-sex marriage will impact all of us. Below is a list of resources to educate yourselves and take action during this critical time for our state.
Bills are now before our state legislature to legalize same-sex marriage and make illegal any voiced opinion opposing it. You may not think these bills will affect you, your family, or your business. To the contrary, like no other law in our state’s history, if these bills pass, there will be a devastating impact on our culture, our churches, our personal and parental rights, our public and private educational systems, our professions, and even what we tweet and post on Facebook. No Minnesotan will escape the consequences of this bill on his/her family or business. The response of every individual receiving this communication is urgent and critical.
Contact your MN Senator and MN House representative now (find your MN Reps by zip code).
To understand the far reaching impact this bill will have in Minnesota, we need only look at its impact in the US and other countries where same-sex marriage has been legalized to see the systematic silencing and punishment of those who believe marriage is unique to one man and one woman.
Religious convictions do not protect Christians against government sanctions and civil judgments.
- Courts say religious freedom must yield to greater public value of homosexual rights. Read More, and More.
- Christian facilities can’t ban same-sex union ceremonies on their property, Read More, or could lose their tax-exempt status for doing so, Read More, and public officials can’t refuse to perform same-sex marriages. Read More, and More.
- Longstanding Christian adoption and foster care agencies like Catholic Charities are required to place kids in same-sex homes or close doors, Read More, and More, and More, and More, and Christians are potentially “unfit” to adopt or foster children due to views on same-sex marriage. Read More.
Businesses and Professionals have been sued, fined, and lost licenses for opposing same-sex marriage.
- Therapy grad student expelled for refusing “marriage therapy” to same-sex couples, Read More, and fertility doctors can’t refuse artificial insemination to lesbians. Read More.
- Privately owned inns, B&B’s and farms are fined for not hosting same-sex ceremonies/receptions. Read More, and More, and More, and photographers can’t refuse to photograph same-sex marriages. Read More.
- Mayors of Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, and Pittsburgh have said businesses opposed to same-sex marriage are not welcome in their cities and may be blocked. Read More.
Employees are fired, demoted, and docked pay for sharing their beliefs in their personal time.
- Employees can be fired or demoted for tweeting or posting on Facebook opposition to gay marriage on their own time and on their own computers. Read more, and More, and More,
- Employees’ use of term “natural family” is harassment based on sexual orientation. Read More.
Parents have no right to protect their children in school.
- Parents have no right to notice of when pro-homosexual instruction takes place, Read More, and cannot opt kids out of pro-homosexual curriculum, Read More, and More.
- Children four years and up have mandatory training in homosexuality, bisexuality and transgender people. Read More, and More, and More, and More.
- Kindergartners are encouraged to sign cards pledging to ally with gays, Read More, first graders take school field trip to teacher’s same-sex wedding, Read More, and students can’t make speeches opposing same-sex marriage in speech classes. Read More.
MN “Supportive School” bill (coming alongside gay marriage bill) applies to public AND PRIVATE schools.
- Public AND PRIVATE schools must have “diversity” training on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Discrimination can include hurting a student’s feelings relating to sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Taxpayer funded “School Climate Center” will police schools’ compliance, including private schools.
- Lawmakers refusing to send bill to finance committee to determine costs of programs to Minnesotans.
- This bill makes illegal any school policy, speech or activity deemed “non-supportive” of students’ “sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression” (See especially Sec. 3, Subd. 3 of the bill).
These bills will make those who believe marriage is between a man and woman the legal equivalent of bigots, and any “different” treatment of these “marriages” will be treated like racial discrimination. In other words, when government treats gay unions the same as marriage, those who do not will be punished. Terms like “equality” and “diversity” will be code for marginalizing Christian beliefs. These bills will not just confer “marriage” rights to a small number of Minnesotans, they will strip the rights of the majority of Minnesotans in exchange.
Passing the same-sex marriage bill will shift the focus of marriage from the needs of children to the desires of adults. It will erase the value of the distinct roles of father and mother (Read More), against the strong advise of medical and child development professionals (Read More, and More, and More), and even those who have been raised by same-sex parents (Read More).
Every major poll since the November election shows the majority of Minnesotans do not want gay marriage, but the decision is now in the hands of the legislatures. Legislatures have said they are not hearing from constituents opposing gay marriage and the Supportive School bill. Instead, they are being bombarded with high powered gay lobbying. YOUR VOICE MATTERS!
Contact your MN Senator and MN House representatives now and tell them you strongly oppose both the same-sex marriage bill and the Supportive School bill (find your MN Reps by zip code). Remind them they were voted into office to represent their constituents, the majority of whom do not want gay marriage. Call and email them every week if you can (office visits are most effective). A call takes less than a minute.
DON’T BE SILENT!