The Election Is Done: Now What?
Another election has passed. You’re probably feeling any or all of the following:
- Elation that the candidates you wanted were elected to office.
- Frustration that other candidates you wanted didn’t make it in.
- Relief that you won’t have to watch political ads for a while.
- Election? I already forgot about it.
Although it will take a while for political pundits to wade through the implications of the election, many Americans will move on much sooner. Yet, I want to encourage you to continue to stay connected to the political realm. Here’s how:
- Honor and respect our leaders because of their positions of authority.
- Pray for our leaders. Pray for God to protect them and their family. Pray they will be surrounded with godly advice and be filled with divine insight—not natural human wisdom—whether it’s spoken through another person close to them or imparted supernaturally. Prayer for our elected officials enables God to step in and take America where it should be.
- Remember how vital peace is to the health of our nation. If you disagree with our elected officials’ political views, you don’t have a right to badmouth them. Speak words of life over them. Confess God has blessed their steps, ordered their ways, granted them wisdom, given them direction, and enabled them to understand what needs to be done. Speak right words about them, and pray for them. By the way, don’t pray that God will change their viewpoint to yours; that’s using prayer to manipulate people. Pray that our nation continues to follow God’s will.
- Pray for the 2016 presidential candidates. The groundwork is being laid today for what will happen in two years. Pray that God will raise up the right candidates and leaders for that election who will lead this country according to the principles laid out in God’s Word.
According to Romans chapter 8, when we pray in line with the Word of God, we can expect that all things will work together for our good because we love God and are called according to His purpose. As we join together in prayer for our leaders, we enable God to continue working in this country.
One last thought, God may be tugging on some of your hearts and encouraging you to run for office in a future election. Pray about it and consider looking into the steps to making that happen. You never know what God has in store for you and this nation!
By the way, I do want to take a moment to thank the men and women who have valiantly served our country to keep us free. May God bless you and your families for all you have given to serve America.